01 January 2013

I Just Can't Do It...

Over all, I am a fairly healthy individual.  I read all those "Secrets to Healthy Living" magazine articles and I've pretty much concluded that - should the Lord tarry - I'm going to live to be at least 105.  Let's see; I sleep 9 hours pretty much every night.  I don't eat after 7 pm.  I don't smoke and I only drink the very occasional glass of wine.  I exercise regularly, I have a close family, a good marriage, wonderful friends and loads of social cnnections (both online AND in "real" life).  I'm not into meditation, but I do pray regularly and often.  I eat nuts every day and I use olive oil when I cook.  I drink my coffee and tea black and strong and organic.  I NEVER use margarine!  *shudder*  I but organic produce when I am able to and my weight is only slightly above what it should be - and I'm working on that now.

In fact, I spent the entire day today JUST eating veggies and cabbage soup.  I'm THAT dedicated to being healthy.

However, there are some things I just can't do.

"They" want me to eat fish several times a week.  Fish oil is fab for me and all that.  Problem is, I just don't like it.  At all.  Well, it's ok if you bread it and fry it, but then it's not so terribly good for you any more, is it?  I can tolerate it if someone serves it to me, but given the choice I will always opt for a different entree!  I shudder equally at haddock, tilapia, tuna, salmon, or pollock.  So I do take a fish oil supplement, but that is the end of my fishy concession.

"They" also insist that I should eat legumes more often.  This one is a different problem.  I actually LOVE beans and split peas.  But I can only consume them in one small portion perhaps once a week - IF I also take 1/2 a bottle of Beano with my small serving.  Eating more legumes or dosing myself with less Beano leaves me in agony with gas.  Yes it's true, I love Beans, but Beans hate me.

And lentils?  I'm not even sure that those are food!!!

Lastly, I don't care how many times "They" tell me that I need to drink green tea, I ain't gonna do it. I do not like hot.  I do not like it cold.  I do not like it plain.  I do not like it with "stuff" in it.  Green tea is nasty.  End of story!  I will stick to my black tea and black coffee.  Thank You.

And my resolution for this new year?  If I don't like it, I ain't gonna make myself eat it!




4 comments:

Susan said...

And so there!!!!! As always you make me chuckle.

Anonymous said...

Amen. Actually, I'm pretty sure that eating something you don't enjoy is a major cause of inflammation and irritation... but we're probably gonna have to wait to see the studies that prove it.

anno

Lauri said...

Have you tried to make lentil burgers. Even my meat loving family approves of those.

I eat the heart socity approved margarine- is it bad too?? Food is too complicated for me nowadays. Anyway, my family is lucky to get past 50, so genetically I'm sort of doomed.

Jenn Erickson said...

Tee hee! I love your spirit and admire you for knowing what you like and don't like. There are plenty of ways to be healthy without eating fish and lentils and drinking green tea. I think the key is just to consume the high calorie, high fat stuff in moderation, avoid processed foods, and enjoy lots of fresh, local produce and lean protein. So says he crazy gal with the Kit Kat cake ;-)

Wishing you a very happy & healthy 2013! Jenn/Rook No. 17