29 October 2008

Fear Not, Groovy is Ohhhhh-Kay

Sorry about all the exclamation marks in my last post. I got a leeeetle excited there.

To answer Sushiboy, Yes, Scout is our adult son. He is in the US Army, stationed in Texas and we haven't seen him for a year. He has no phone, so our contact with him has been limited to whenever he remembers to call. Consequently, when folks at church ask us, "Hey, how's Scout doing?" We usually have to answer, "I dunno!"

Oh well, when we were young, we didn't call home much either...

At any rate, in true Scout fashion, he calls and tells us he's coming home on leave Friday. BUT he doesn't know when he's supposed to be back on duty, so he hasn't bought his plane ticket yet. Yep. So he's coming - probably this weekend - we think - possibly. Heh-heh-heh.

He'll be here one or two or three weeks, which time he shall use to visit with family and friends before he he deploys overseas.

And yes, we're excited!!!!

Of course, this will make NaNoWriMo much more challenging time-wise. But I'm still planning on diving in on November 1st...God willing.

Many apologies to Tammy for missing her very first and very groovy homeschool open house. I was planning a fabulous post on the burning of Fort Groovy, but got sidetracked by Scout's impending visit and by helping a friend pack/clean because she and her family are moving to China tomorrow.

I'll do my best to prepare Ft. Groovy for the next open house.

Speaking of homeschooling, I'd better get off this computer and crack open the books. Hopefully there'll be no tears today because the dramatic scenes yesterday almost did me in.

Silly-Head (with many crocodile tears as we prepare to read a wonderful book called Clem - the Story of a Raven by Jennifer Dewey. It's a beautiful and well written book; I highly recommend it, Silly-Head's reaction notwithstanding.) I.....HATE...SCHOOL!!!!

Girly-Girl (with a very stubborn pout) I don't KNOW how to put these in order! (referring to a list of phone book entries that needed to be alphabetized, which skill she mastered quite some time ago.)

Many hugs took care of Silly-Head's mood. Extra practice work (that she really didn't need, but which her 'tude demanded) took care of Miss Girly-Girl.

Chocolate and prayer took care of Mom!

I'm off!!!


***************************************

11 comments:

Rita Loca said...

ENJOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You deserve all the exclamations points you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dawn said...

I trust the visit with Scout will be everything you hope and need it to be!

As for home schooling - I have nothing but awe for you who have the patience to do this - never in a million years could I have done it!

Sushiboy said...

Cool enjoy that visit. I admire our soldiers. I was in the air force ROTC but I couldn't get a medical waiver for my asthma, so I couldn't get commissioned.

notcon4med said...

Oh Miss Girly Girl! Really! Tsk, tsk! See what that 'tude did for you!

Suck it up Silly-Head! You're much too young to be moody and school is still too short, easy, and fun for you to hate it!

I'm praying for Scout's time at home - that all that is wrong will be made right, and that, in His mercy, He will restore the years that the locust's have eaten!

notcon4med said...

Um...make that 'locusts" (without the apostrophe).
Sorry, just a little grammatically compulsive!

Anonymous said...

Awww...I know you'll enjoy having your son back for awhile. I can't imagine having mine leave for overseas...you've got to be a very strong woman, that's for sure.

Tammy said...

Oh, Groovy...no apologies needed, my friend! You have a lot going on- not the least of getting ready to see your son after so long!!!

We'll try again next month with the open house...(burning of Fort Groovy? I totally want to hear that story!)

We've had a few of the home school scenes that you describe here, too...;)

Let us know when Scout arrives...just post an "He's Here!!!!!!!!!!!" and we'll get the message! :D

Lori said...

I'm so excited for you. I can really relate to your excitement. We won't see our Sailor until next June.

Anonymous said...

And isn't he lucky to come home to YOU and your loving arms.

I can't imagine how thrilled you must be.

Bless you all.

Damselfly said...

Ft. Groovy, hee hee! I know you'll enjoy having Scout home!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous news about the visit! I hope you and yours have a spectacular Halloween!