26 November 2007

OY!!! (Edited - As In, I added More Stuff) aka MeMe Mania

Well, I haven't been here for a while due to technical difficulties. But now my handy-dandy Apple computer dude - who actually spoke some respectable (and understandable) Englich has talked me through the glitches and I am once again able to blog. Unfortunately, it is late in the morning and I need to workout and pay bills and educationally enhance my kiddos, so a real post will have to wait until tomorrow. In the meantime, I will leave with this personalized Me-Me interview from Marianne.

***************************
***************************
1.  What is your favorite childhood Christmas memory?

I was in sixth grade. My mom and I had pulled up stakes and moved so she could escape a dangerous, abusive, possessive man. WE spent Christmas is a teeny, tiny motorhome in Austin, Texas. We were dirt poor and she warned me that Christmas would be extremely thin. We set up a miniscule tree on the itty-bitty table and I went to sleep in my bed over the cab of the vehicle. When I got up in the morning, the whole middle of the trailer was full of gifts wrapped in white tissue paper.

I can't recall what any of the gifts were, but I remember being thoroughly impressed with my mom's ability to HIDE all those presents, wrap them all without me knowing about it, AND to sneak them into the trailer without waking me up. Now, in retrospect, I also appreciate that she probably did without many things herself to make MY Christmas so terrific.


2.  What is one thing you have always dreamed of doing, but haven't been able to?

Just one? Own horses. Heck, even ONE horse. I have ALWAYS wanted horses! I was one of those little girls who memorized Walter Farley books and had dozens of horse posters and pictures and info books and model horses and toy horses and even a whole stable full of imaginary horses. I could tell you all their names and their heights and colors and characterisitics.

But I've never had a REAL horse of my own. sigh.

3.  If it wouldn't affect where you are today, what is one thing you would go back and change in your past?

I was a flirtatious jerk in Jr. high and High School - a true heartbreaker. I would go back and treat boys (and myself) with WAY more respect and restraint. In truth, if I could locate a particular Billy N. (and believe me, I've tried) I would do some serious apologizing. I know I left some scars on that poor fellow!

4.  What is your least favorite household chore, and why?

Dusting. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because once I make a circuit of a room the other side is already dusty again. It's a pointless waste of time!


*****************************
*****************************

Ah, and now that techno dude has helped me, I find that i'm still having difficulties, but ONLY with posting and editing on Blogger. Totally weird. I'll just keep playing 'til I get it figured out.

****************************
****************************

Oh, and while I'm at it, here's another MeMe from Elle aka Dani aka the blogbooktours lady.

1. How long have you been blogging?

I started blogging on Xanga waaaay back in June of 2004. I finally switched to Blogger in Septemeber 2006.

2. What inspired you to start a blog and who are your mentors?

I would have never even tried to set up a blog, especially since I was running an oooooooooold Mac OS9 on dial-up. But poor Funsocksgirl (my eldest daughter) got tired of my hanging over her shoulder while SHE blogged or IMed on her PC. I was forever asking her questions and telling her what witty stories to tell and what clever replies to give (as if she needed MY help!). In a final act of desperation, she made a blog for me under the handle Sherrybell, my pastor's pet name for me.

Suddenly I was writing online...and I LOVED it!


3. Are you trying to make money online, or just doing it for fun?

I do it for fun and to keep my sanity. I have the embarassing habit of talking to myself - ALOT. Now I take those thoughts and words and crazy ideas and write them into my blog posts. When you talk to yourself, people just stare and shake their heads. When you put those same words in a blog, people come and read and tell you you're a talented writer.

Well, no...actually they tell me that I'm funny and I make them laugh. Hmmmmm. Is that the internet equivalent of staring and shaking their heads?

4. What 3 things do you struggle with online?

A. Wasting waaaay too much time reading blogs (and commenting on every single one). I am truly working on cutting back - at least on the excessive commenting.

B. How to share my Faith with my non-Christian readers without pushing them away. I love them all and I want them to keep coming back!

C. Techno stuff. I am SO not a geek!

5. What 3 things do you love about being online?

A. Having "friends" all over the world and getting perspectives and seeing angles that would have been impossible otherwise.

B. The physical anonymity that keeps me from being prejudiced - even subconsciously. I have no idea if my online communitiy members are fat or skinny or ugly or disabled or affluent or poor or mentally challenged (well, sometimes that one shows up...) or black or gorgeous or disabled or whatever. Consequently, I learn to love them and/or appreciate them for who they are instead of being influenced by their outward appearance.

C. It's a cheap, immediate, easy way to keep in touch with family, friends, and former students that I might lose contact with if all I had were phones and snail mail.

************************
************************
Ok, I think I have it figured out. My Safari update gets the willies whenever I have my Javascript hooey on so that the slideshow in my sidebar is slide-showing. Perhaps my family is too scary for Safari to deal with...

Say goodbye to the slideshow!

5 comments:

notcon4med said...

Horses! What happened to the dream of goats?

Marianne Arkins said...

I, too, was a horse freak -- And I still have most of my Walter Farley and Marguerite Henry books to pass on to my DD. I was lucky and blessed enough to have my own horse for three years until we were forced to move back to the city. I still miss him.

Thanks for playing!!

Anonymous said...

Groovy - so nice to learn more about you. I love your comment about learning to love the online community for who they really are because physical appearance doesn't come into it. If only we could sidestep appearance a bit more in life - I think it would make such a difference. Good on ya, Groovy!

groovyoldlady said...

Silly Notcon4med! The question addresses something I've ALWAYS dreamed of. Goats are a recently aquired love, but horses are forever.

In other words, even before goats are, horses am.

notcon4med said...

Ahhhhhh, I see. But do you still want a horse? I mean, when I was a little girl, I wanted a chimp. Now, I just want a parrot sanctuary. Out with the old dreams, in with the new dreams. Sometimes ya just gotta grow up, right?