03 March 2018

Perhaps Phil Was Mistaken

Punxsutawney Phil, that is.


It seems like pretty much as far back as I can remember, Phil has seen his shadow and has predicted 6 more weeks or winter.  And pretty much every year I respond with a huff and a sniff.  Of course he's predicting 6 more weeks of winter.  It's February 2, for crying out loud.  We ALWAYS have 6 more weeks of winter; Sometimes more!

Here's a pic of our wee, little barn on April 8, 2014:





Except this year is different.  This year is weird.  REALLY weird.

We had a super deep freeze for weeks on end and then it got warm and rained and melted and then snowed and then rained and then got super cold.  Up, down, up, down, dry, wet.

I worried that the goats would get pneumonia from all the temperature fluctuations.  Fortunately, no one has. They've been healthy as...well, goats!  Goats who are getting super frisky and wound up now on a daily basis because the weather has been weirdly warm - in the 40's and 50's (Fº, of course) more days than not.  We even had one day - still in February, mind you - where it was in the 60's.

Crazy talk, I tell you!

We still have snow here at our house.  We live at the top of a hill and our micro climate usually brings us a slightly slower snow melt.  My trees all bud a little slower and my flowers bloom a little later than in town.  But in the valley, there are huge patches of field and yard and pasture with NO snow.  Heck, 2 days ago I saw an older man out raking and doing his spring yard clean-up!

So...It looks like Phil was wrong.

Maybe.

Because I literally just looked out the window as I was writing this - and it is, unexpectedly, snowing.

*sigh*





2 comments:

anno said...

My sympathies, Groovy. Here, too. Just had sixty degrees, blue skies, and roads dry enough to take a long walk, and then, WHAM! Six inches of snow on top of several inches of ice, and even two sunny days in the 40s have not been enough to melt it all away. Let me join you in a heartfelt sigh:

***SIGH***

groovyoldlady said...

Oh, Spring is coming. It IS coming. At least, I keep telling myself that!